This month 25- 27 January 2018, we are in Portugal at the 30th annual meeting of the European Eye Bank Association (EEBA).
The theme of this year’s meeting is The Changing Relationships between Eye Banks & Corneal Surgeons, and the extensive programme covers:
• New corneal transplantation techniques.
• Integrated developments in eye banking.
• Other tissues in eye banking – In vitro to clinical practice.
• Awareness campaigns for eye donation.
• Bioethical, organisational and regulatory issues in eye and tissue banking.
• Advanced Therapy Medicinal Products.
• Lessons to be learned from European projects in organ donation and transplantation.
Eye banks play an integral role in storing and screening donated eye tissue, which is used for corneal transplantation and some glaucoma surgery.
A pair of donated eyes could be used to provide treatment for up to 10 individuals for:
• Corneal transplant.
• The sclera can be divided in four and used as a patch graft for some glaucoma surgery patients.
Surgitrac Instruments provides corneal surgical instruments for the UK and export markets, click here for the Corneal section of our website.
For more information about organ donation in EU visit https://ec.europa.eu/
For more information about organ donation in the UK contact https://www.organdonation.nhs.uk/faq/organ-donor-register/